Castelo de Paiva
Castelo de Paiva is a town in the district of Aveiro, which is located in the sub-region of Tâmega, on the left bank of the Douro River and the Paiva River.
The lands of “Paiva”, which were so called until the nineteenth century, appear referenced in a document as early as 883 and only began to be called “Castelo de Paiva”, according to a document of March 4, 1852 .
The name “Castelo de Paiva” comes from the castle village, situated on terraces near the mouth of the Paiva river, in which a Luso-Roman fortification is thought to have originated. In 1513 it received a charter from king D. Manuel I.
The history of the county is closely linked to Martinho Pinto Montenegro, who was the first Count of Castelo de Paiva, remaining the county district until 1927.
This was once a municipality marked by agriculture and coal mining in the Pejão Mines, which were rich in anthracite. Nowadays, the vines of Enforcado, on the terraced slopes, as well as some granite and schist quarries, play a fundamental role in the local economy. The footwear, textile, wood and leather goods industries have also played a major role throughout the region.
Handicrafts have grown in recent times in the municipality, given the importance that culture and leisure have acquired, and thus traditions and cultural roots have been maintained. Noteworthy are the linen and copper works, the manufacture of blankets and basketry.
- Church of Nossa Senhora da Assunção (13th century)
- Real Parish Church
- Church of São Martinho – Sardoura
- Pedorido Mother Church
- Chapel of Quinta de Vegide
- Marmoiral of Sobrado
- Casa Duriense
- River Douro Beach – Pedorido
- Fisga Manor House
- Sobral Funerary Monument
- Vale da Rua dolmen
- Cliff of Vegide
- Schist Villages of Midões and Gondarém
- Historic Centre of Castelo de Paiva
- Castle Island (also known as Love Island)
- Catapeixe Viewpoint
Festivities and Pilgrimages:
- São João, 24 June
- Green Wine, Farmers’ Market, Gastronomy and Handicrafts Fair, on the 1st weekend in July
- 19th century fair, at harvest time .