Freixo de Espada à Cinta

According to legend, the origin of Freixo de Espada à Cinta predates the foundation of Portugal. It would have been founded by a nobleman called “Feijão”, who died in 977, cousin of S. Rosendo, and as for weapons on his coat of arms would be an ash tree with a belted sword, hence the town took its name.

As this village is in the border area, on the right bank of the Douro River, many battles were fought here, such as, for example, the one that D. Afonso II supported with his sisters protected by Afonso IX of León and as a consequence this land was taken and pillaged in 1211 by the Leon forces. A few years later, in 1236 during the reign of D. Sancho II, the Infante D. Afonso son of Fernando III of Castile came to besiege it, but now the inhabitants of the land defended themselves more bravely and managed to destroy the siege. The Castilians were therefore forced to retreat. For this achievement, the King of Portugal granted them the rank of Town in 1240.

In 1307, King Dinis granted this town a fair charter, at the request of the people. For the aim was not only to exchange goods, but also to fix the population and increase it, so as to be better able to fight the enemy.

The town would still suffer for a long time from border battles, namely between 1580 and 1640. Looting and destruction were constant.

In 1896, there was another battle, this time due to the annexation to Torre de Moncorvo, but its inhabitants once again showed great strength and managed to restore the municipal jurisdiction on 13 January 1898.

Freixo de Espada à Cinta is a village full of history, where we can see for example some of its streets full of Manueline shutters and windows. See the old walls and tower, still medieval, visit the Church, walk through Encruzilhada, Flores street, Vale, Castanheiro or Outeiro. You can also enjoy a beautiful boat trip on the Douro River. And taste the best this region offers at the gastronomic level.

To visit:


Festivities and Pilgrimages:

  • Sete Passos – Night Procession, takes place on the seven Fridays of Lent
  • Nª Sra dos Montes Ermos, 15 August