Marco de Canaveses
Between the Douro and Tâmega rivers, at the beginning of the Marão mountain range, lies the town of Marco de Canaveses. The City is located 58 km from Oporto, 18 km from Amarante, 19 km from Penafiel, 15 km from Baião and 26 km from Cinfães – thus being in a very central area.
The occupation of these lands dates back to quite early times, and important vestiges from the Neolithic period have been found – mainly some funerary monuments. From the Roman occupation period, vestiges of Tongóbriga have survived to the present day. It was a Roman settlement of which the thermal baths, residential areas, the forum and a necropolis still remain.
The history of this municipality goes through the history of the town of Canaveses, where Mendo Gil was its first administrator. From 1255 to 1384, the lordship belonged to D. Gonçalo Garcia and his descendants. In 1384, João I gave it to João Rodrigues Pereira, a relative of Nuno Alvares. During the reign of King João II, it was already the possession of the crown. In the 19th century it was integrated in the municipality of Soalhães and a few years later in Marco. The municipality of Marco de Canaveses was created in 1852 by decree of D. Maria II. The village became a town in 1993.
The tertiary sector prevails in the municipality. However, industry and agriculture also play an important role in the economic development of the region. The textile industry and stone exploitation are examples of this. Still agriculture, on a smaller scale, marks the landscape of this whole area.
Gastronomy and handicraft are very important in the county, which is included in the Vinho Verde Route and where roasted lamb with rice from the oven – which is the typical dish of this county – cavacas, slices and biscuits make up irresistible desires.
The reservoirs of Carrapatelo on the Douro and Torrão on the Tâmega have excellent conditions for water sports, such as sport fishing, windsurfing, sailing and canoeing, which many holidaymakers do at this time of year.
Marco de Canaveses is also the birthplace of some illustrious figures, who not only made the name of the town known at a national level, but also throughout the world. Standing out in the artistic scene is the singer Carmem Miranda, in the business field Belmiro de Azevedo and in science, the historian Aníbal Barreira.
- Church of Santa Maria (Siza Vieira Architect)
- Churches and Chapels (throughout the municipality)
- Roman City of Tongobriga (Freixo)
- Convent of Alpendurada
- Sanctuary of Menino Jesus de Praga (Avessadas)
- Canaveses Pillory
- Municipal Museum
- Museu da Pedra (Stone Museum)
- Bridge over the Tâmega River
- Arco Bridge (Folhada)
- Casa dos Arcos
- Penedo de Cuba (Cuba Rock)
- Torre de Nevões (Nevões Tower)
- Obras do Fidalgo
Festivities and pilgrimages:
- Feast in honour of the patron saint of Fornos (Santa Marinha), on the 3rd Sunday in July
- Nossa Senhora do Castelinho, 8 September (municipal holiday)