The Monastery of Santa Maria de Salzedas, was in its time one of the largest Cistercian monasteries in Portugal.
Its construction began in 1155, after the lands were donated to the Order by Egas Moniz, Afonso Henriques’ uncle, and his wife Teresa Afonso. It was consecrated in 1255, when the monastic complex was completed.
Between the 16th and 18th centuries the temple was extensively remodelled. Inside there are still vestiges of the primitive structure, namely one of the chapels that still keeps the capitals of Romanesque decoration. There are two paintings attributed to the 16th century master Vasco Fernandes (Grão Vasco) representing Santo Peregrino and São Sebastião and several other 17th century paintings by Bento Coelho da Silveira.
It was classified as a National Monument in 1997.