Favaios is a Trás-os-Montes village located in the municipality of Alijó, next to Serra do Vilarelho. The main activity of the village is viticulture, where the famous Moscatel de Favaios is produced.
The origins of Favaios date back to the Iron Age, when the first peoples lived in castros (fortified villages) of which there are several archaeological remains.
Favaios, was located in the Panoias Region and was one of the most important regions, which already existed even before Roman rule. The founders were emperors who were part of the Flavia Dynasty. It is assumed that the origin of the name Favaios derives from Flávios, and by corruption of Flavius, its founder. Panoias was a vast territory that stretched from Marão to Tua and from the Douro River to Murça.
Favaios received a letter of manumission in 1211 by the King of D. Afonso II and the first charter in 1270. It was a town and county seat until 1853. In 2001 it was classified as a Douro Wine Village.
Be sure to try the Moscatel de Favaios and the bread from Favaios.
- Mother Church of São Domingos
- Favaios Cooperative Winery
- St. Anthony’s Chapel
- Santa Barbara Chapel
- Castle walls
- Favaios fountain
- Bread and Wine Museum